Chili Cook-Off at Power Creative – My Chili won Best In Bowl “Cross Continental Global Warming Chili”
In conjunction with Light The Night, Power Creative has annually hosted a highly competitive Chili Cook-Off. I find that when it comes to Chili Cook-off, my humility gene goes away and I become this highly competitive person who does everything in my power to ensure that my chili tastes great.
This year, I waited until the last minute and entered a sort of a fusion chili. Main idea was from Bobby Flay’s recipe ( http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/bobby-flay/beef-and-black-bean-chili-with-toasted-cumin-crema-and-avocado-relish-recipe/index.html) but I seasoned the meat according to Julia Child’s Beef Bourguignon recipe and cooked it in the oven. Then I loosely followed Bobby Flay’s recipe for the sauce, making minor modifications. It calls for dark beer and I used a Heineken because that is what is what I had in the fridge. I served it with an avocado relish (inspired by Bobby Flay) and Sour Cream with cilantro and lime juice (I think it would have been better with Crème fraîche but both the stores that I went to at lunch were out of it.
So, here is the recipe, sort of:
I used 4lbs of stewing beef
1. Pat the meat dry and season with salt and pepper
2. Slice up a bag of pearl onions, 5 shalots and 5 cloves of garlic
3. Place a 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a pan and saute the onions, shalots and garlic. Add the meat and saute.
4. Move the entire contents of the pan to an oven-proof dish and bake/roast at 350 degrees for about an hour. In a separate pan, you may want to also roast a few choice pepper such as poblano and Habanero.
5. Meanwhile, in a stock pot bring to boil some beef broth (1-2 cans). Add 5-6 tomatillos and a handful of cilantro. I also added 1/4 cup of Major Grey’s mango chutney to the pot. Add the meat from the oven, 2 cans of tomatoes, the 1/4 cup of lime juice, 1 tablespoon of chili powder, the roasted peppers and let it all simmer for 2-3 hours under low heat until the meat is extremely tender. Add chili powder and salt to taste. Add a can of black beans, if you like.
For the Avocado Relish:
– Slice up 1-2 avocados
– The juice of a lemon
– diced up cilantro
(combine all the ingredients and add some salt to it.)
Sour Crem/ or Creme Fraiche
Combine sour cream with diced cilantro and lime juice for a refreshing sour cream side
SERVE WITH GENEROUS AMOUNT OF SOUR CREAM AND AVOCADO RELISH