South Indian Potatoes, Mushroom and Green Beans
This is comfort food for me. When I am homesick, I make dishes that my mum used to make when we were young and this is one of those dishes.
- 1 Large container of crimini mushrooms
- 4 large potatoes (diced)
- 1 lb of fresh green beans – cleaned and cut into 3 inch lengths (not green beans out of a can)
- 2 tablespoons garam masala
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 large onion sliced
- 1 tablespoon mustard seeds
- 2 -3 tablespoons of cooking oil
– Firstly, prep your vegetables (See picture above)
– Next, heat the oil in a frying pan over medium heat. When the oil is hot, add the mustard seeds and the onions and cook until the onion softens.
– Once the onions start to turn brown, add the potatoes and vegetables to the frying pan.
– Add the garam masala and turmeric and a tablespoon of salt to the pan
– Cover and cook until the potatoes soften. Let it cook and serve with a plate of Basmati Rice.
Note: You can always add more garam masala to the dish as you are cooking it if you like a stronger flavor. It is all about personal tastes. Taste the dish as it cooks and adjust the amount of garam masala as you go along. It is also very important to salt the dish as you go along.
Hope you enjoy it. I typically serve it with Indian Fried Chicken https://cookingmalaysiagirl.wordpress.com/2009/11/08/fried-chicken-south-indian-style/ and some plain yogurt or Raita.