This is a really easy and absolutely delicious breakfast option especially on a holiday. I use a sourdough loaf but I also love using an Italian loaf.
I loaf of sourdough bread (or Italian bread)
1/4 cup of milk
1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
I lemon (for its zest)
Butter (for cooking and serving)
Maple syrup (for serving)
- Firstly, slice your bread in even slices. I usually go with about an inch.
- Prepare the egg mixture. Whisk all 4 eggs in a medium sized bowl, Add the milk and whisk it so it makes a smooth mixture. Add the vanilla and stir it in. (It should be smelling wonderful right now because of the vanilla)
- Heat a griddle or a grill pan
- Dip a slice of bread at a time in the mixture and lay it on the pan. Medium heat – you don’t want it to burn. Feel free to use some butter on the pan to give it a nice golden look and of course, that will be taste amazing
- Place on platter when done
- Zest the lemon over the cooked and ready french toast. It gives it a wonderful flavor. You can also use an orange if you like.
- Serve with butter and maple syrup
Here are some pics from this morning.
Getting all the ingredients ready. I got the bread from the bakery section of Fresh Market.
That delicious first bite with just the right touch of lemon and butter and maple syrup!